Electric Railroad Line Established

After the Civil War, the agricultural and suburban lifestyle of the study area continued to develop.  Between 1901 and 1910, and electric interurban railroad line was established linking Louisville with Shelbyville via St. Matthews, Middletown and Eastwood.  The line paralleled Frankfort Avenue and Shelbyville Road and crossed Floyds Fork on its own bridge located just south of the Old Shelbyville Road bridge.  The line was discontinued around 1940 as the automobile transformed America's travel habits.  All that remains of the Interurban Railroad in the study area today are the concrete supports for the bridge on either side of the stream just south of the old Shelbyville Road bridge.

[Table of Contents]

Warning: Some Web sites to which these materials provide links for the convenience of users are not managed by the Jefferson County Public School System. JCPS takes no responsibility for the contents of those sites. Comments, suggestions, or error reporting about this page and its links should be sent to the webmaster - currently David Wicks, Louisville, KY.

  people

  places

  events

Civil War skirmish on Shelbyville Pike

Abraham Lincoln killed by Indians

purchase of Floyds Fork

Long Run Massacre

last Indian massacre

electric railroad line established

  links